Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Vegetable Garden Mentor




One of my recent interests in life is Vegetable Gardening.  I still consider myself just a newbie - so I call myself the Virgin Vegetable Gardener.  And I have a 'mentor' whom I have been so fortunate to have found on this journey!  My mentor didn't ask for the job 'mentor', it just happened that way.  I don't even know if she realises that she is one!  I call her the Vegetable Guru!  I adore her!

She's been vege gardening about 3 years longer than me, but oh my, if only I had her greenthumb!  Really it's more than a greenthumb, it's her amazing ability to 'work' the year with her knowledge and preserving of food and her passion for creating something out of nothing.  She amazes me.  I want to make her proud of her 'protege'.  She does everything herself while all the time continuing to read, learn, try and upskill herself - a true pioneer woman whom I deeply admire and respect!  The Vege Guru is a true inspiration.

She's been there for me for 2 1/2 years now - translated means, I've hounded her with questions for 2 1/2 years now - and she has graciously taken the time to help me as I have needed it.   So by default, she's my mentor!  And it's not just me, she's on a quest for self sufficiency and sharing her skill base so that others can do the same. 

I don't know if I'll ever achieve what she has accomplished (I doubt many would).  But in spite of her busy schedule, she continues to encourage and support me to better myself.  They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery ...

This year I'm aspiring to grow my own seedlings into vege plants and if I can get my head around it, start canning and preserving - but for some reason, I have a major block!  I'm very unsure about myself and abilities when it comes to the vege garden, seed saving, canning, preserving, growing and harvesting, but push ahead because my mentor and friend continues to encourage and believe in me.  I've even expanded the garden ...




So, I just wanted to say that I am very blessed to have my mentor and appreciate her.  I hope that as I stuggle forward that I also can become a champion for self sufficiency and be a mentor, encourager, and believer in someone else who needs it!

Thank you Vegetable Guru for being you!  I am very fortunate to have you in my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment